Donate Directly Through PayPal Now
The Gender Expansion Project’s mission is to promote gender-inclusive education and awareness surrounding transgender, transsexual, intersex, and gender diverse people through evidence based care, education, research, advocacy, public and private policy, and respect in transgender health and wellbeing.
Our Work | The Impact
The Gender Expansion Project actively serves individuals of gender diversity throughout the rural northwest, where access to comprehensive trans* healthcare, inclusive HIV prevention and direct support for individuals of gender diversity are few.
- The Gender Expansion Project works to fill important gaps in our community. For gender diverse folks in the rural northwest, life can be a difficult endeavor, and legal and service precedents were previously not in place to facilitate structural equality for transgender, transsexual, intersex and gender diverse individuals.
- Since developing the Gender Expansion Project, We have hosted the first trans* health conference in Missoula, Montana in October of 2013. Presenters like Dr. Toby Meltzer, Dr. Johanna Olson, Aydin Kennedy, and Erin Armstrong, among others, presented on leading practices in the care of trans* and gender diverse peoples.
Lynsey Bourke of Blue Mountain Clinic & Beth Hubble of the University of Montana Department of Women’s & Gender Studies present at the 2013 GEP Conference
- The Gender Expansion Project proudly hosts one of the largest online trans* resource directories and provides direct support to individuals across the rural northwest.
- The Gender Expansion Project, with the assistance of Blue Mountain Clinic Family Pracitce, created on of the first trans* clinics in the state of Montana which currently serves gender variant individuals, youth to elderly.
- The Gender Expansion Project, with great help from Executive Director Bree Sutherland, has grown from providing small TDOR events planned by a group of college students to one of the largest trans* focused health education organizations in the rural northwest. With funding from Astraea Foundation, Pride Foundation and donors like you, the Gender Expansion Project continues to provide comprehensive services to individuals of gender diversity throughout the rural northwest.
SOCIAL JUSTICE VISION
The GEP seeks to effect systematic cultural change to address intersections of oppressions and inequality, bringing together diverse professionals dedicated to developing best practices and supportive policies and programs throughout Eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas to promote health, research, education, respect, dignity, and equality for transgender, transsexual, intersex and gender diverse people of the rural northwest and beyond. We envision a West where LGBTIQ peoples are engaged proudly and safely in their selves and the community.
As an interdisciplinary and professionally focused organization, the GEP increases access to understanding care, treatment, and acceptance of transgender, transsexual, intersex, and gender diverse individuals. With an emphasis on the health and well-being of these individuals, the GEP furthers understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders and related gender variant health concerns by professionals in medicine, psychology, law, social work, psychotherapy, family studies, sociology, anthropology, sexology, speech and voice therapy, and other related fields.
We are dedicated to creating a world in which all people are freed from the painful reality of our culture’s deeply rooted gender binary. At our core, we truly believe that Trans* theory provides the conceptual tool box necessary to address collective oppressions resulting from hegemonic militarized masculinities.
Therefore, by promoting Trans* interests, we allow all people—including cis and hetero individuals–to selfactualize, and individually develop identities based on authenticity.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute financially, but that doesn’t mean they can’t help us.
- Get the word out, tell your friends and help us promote our askBIG campaign
- Share it through Indiegogo Sharing Tools
- Volunteer for GEP. Whether you are in Missoula or living pretty much anywhere with internet access, you can be a GEP volunteer and help us spread the work we do. Interested? email Shayna Hayes at email@example.com